Anne Bissonnette and Isabel Toledo

I was excited to be quoted in the Boston Herald (even if they did make a mistake) but that pales in comparison with my extraordinarily visionary friend, Anne Bissonnette, who is a costume museum curator. She was on FOX TV talking about Isabel Toledo!
It’s the top video image on the left (sound is bad but if you crank your speakers it’s fine).

Anne called me one day in 1999 and told me about this exhibit she was putting together about an incredibly creative couple, Isabel and Rubin Toledo - I had no idea at the time who they were. Well, my super-intuitive friend knew that they were important, and she put together the largest exhibit to date of their work!! You know who Isabel Toledo is - she made Michelle Obama's inagural suit, right?

Anne started her career as a fashion design student at LaSalle College in Montreal, where she won several design awards. She's a phenomenal fashion designer, but she chose to follow her passion for historic costume research and got her masters in costume research at FIT. I met her in Casablanca, Morocco, when she came to organize the LaSall College Casablanca fashion show. Then she joined me on the faculty at Stephens College for a year. The last time I visited her, she had put together an exhibit about another phenomenal contemporary designer, Ralph Rucci.
One of the fun things about Anne is that she is a fashion designer at heart, and her home has a great design studio. After examining the clothes she puts in exhibits, she goes home and creates designs inspired from the designs in the exhibits!

I put Anne's story out there to show another way that one can study fashion and take it forward into a wonderful career...

Comments