What a week!

The past week has been just so amazing. I spent last Thursday, Friday and Saturday in the new showroom of Georges Hobeika in the first arrondissement at 15 rue Royale, the one that leads to the Madeline from Place de la Concorde - quelle addresse! The PAA is on rue St. Jacques, in the 5th, and I was running a little late on my first day; given the distance, ended up spending about 2- 1/2 hours a day traveling back and forth. Walking into the Georges Hobeika showroom. I was kind of shy in some ways, slipping in and just saying who I was and where I was from. Everyone said, "ok, hi" and I felt comfortable. Marianne was instrumental in making me feel at home. She is really a great person who is talented and full of life and humor. I spent those three days putting on and taking off incredibly georgeous gowns from professional models who each had such an interesting personalities - but I'll go into detail about all of these experiences with pictures and everything as this month progresses and I have time to process everything!

I just wanted to give an overview of what the week was like. So on Sunday I got to go help with fittings for the model casting process at Dany Atrache. That was really interesting as well; a modern luxury hotel on rue des Pyramides just around the corner from the St. Louis statue and Hotel Regina. From then through Thursday  I conducted an interview with Polish designer Eva Minge and attended her show,  worked with the Hobeika team and student dressers during the actual couture show, was a guest at the haute couture shows of Stephan Rolland and Basile Soda, stood out in front of the Chanel show and whatched the public, went to the button exhibit at the Fondation Bismark, used shibori techniques to create some beautiful fabric under the guidance of Sharon Kilfoyle, and went to the showroom/ office of Franck Sorbier. At Franck Sorbier I saw the fabric and the dresses up close and interviewed Franck for almost 45 minutes. Not to mention reviewing the dossiers of the candidates for the semester scholarship that the PAA is offering and meeting with Ryan and Peter and Sharon about developing a brochure for the PAA semester program.

Well, I am back in Boston and I kind of feel like a martian in a foreign country. As I look around these surroundings that are so familiar but that yet seem foreign at the same time, and I reflect about the experience I just had since I got to Paris, on June 12. I am feeling SUPER inspired to document the experience and to design. I have threecollections that I want to develop. One, of course, uses the shibori fabric I made with Sharon, and the other is a black/silver chiffon fabric I bought last year in Paris - focusing on black, silver, and white a la Greta Garbo; I want to shibori something up to go with that line; with nuno felting too. The third one is a line of African batiks on reversible linen jackets. I found just the African resource in a merchant at the Porte de Clingaincourt... so many ideas, so little time.

Comments